The government is conducting DNA tests on the body thought to be that of Thabo Bester, according to Ronald Lamola, minister of justice and correctional services.
However a copy of alleged autopsy is been circulated online. The authenticity of this report is yet to be confirm at the moment.
Bester was incarcerated in the G4S-run Mangaung Correctional Complex, a maximum security facility, where he was serving a life sentence for both rape and murder. He was initially said to have put himself on fire and passed away on May 3, 2022, in a prison cell.
- The DNA of the body in the cell didn’t match the woman claiming to be Bester’s biological mother;
- The coroner observed that the body was 145cm, some 25cm shorter than Bester;
- The person was dead before being set alight. In fact the person was died from blunt force trauma and was likely murdered;
- The person’s hands and face were much more severely burnt the rest of his body;
- On the edge of frames in footage on a CCTV camera, which was suspiciously not facing the correct angle, two people could be seen hastily exiting the prison.
However in a new development, The Department of Correctional Services (DCS) has acknowledged that Thabo Bester, the so-called “Facebook rapist,” broke out of jail.